SCULLCAP BAIKAL ORGANIC Scutellaria baicalensis
Scullcap has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine due to it's many purported health benefits.
American skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) must not be confused with Chinese scullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) as they each have their own benefits and uses.
Flavones are compounds forming the basis of a number of white and yellow plant pigments. One such flavone, baicalein, is present in scullcap, being responsible for this herbs high levels of anti-oxidants.
Some known health benefits of scullcap include:
- High in anti-oxidants with free radical scavenging characteristics
- Anti-inflammatory properties which is why it's been used to treat arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, even Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease
- Used to treat respiratory infections, hay fever and colds. Has expectorant properties
- May assist with insomnia and other sleep related issues, even jaw clenching
- The flavone baicalein may be of benefit in helping to prevent heart disease and may act as an anti-hypertensive
- Has been used in the treatment of liver problems including viral hepatitis and jaundice
- May assist in the lowering of fever caused by flu or infection
- Believed to help relieve muscle spasms so may be useful in treating headaches, nerve related symptoms and menstrual pain
If brewing as a tea, allow approx one teaspoon of scullcap to steep in one cup of boiling water for 5-10mins
To be consumed in moderation only!
We do not recommend this herb if pregnant, breastfeeding, diabetic or facing upcoming surgery/during post surgery.
If you are under 18, elderly, on medication or suffering from a medical condition, we advise that you consult your doctor/medical practitioner prior to consuming this herbal tea. It is your duty of care to seek professional medical advice before relying only on the benefits of herbs/teas for health purposes.