JIAOGULAN HERB GYNOSTEMMA PENTAPHYLLUM
Jiagulan (Gee-ow-goo-lan) is a climbing vine which grows wild in China and some other parts of Asia and it's leaves have traditionally been used to make medicine. It's commonly brewed as a herbal drink.
It's high in antioxidants and with both adaptogenic and anti-ageing properties it has long been revered in China as the "Herb of Immortality". It's believed this herb contributes to a long and disease-free life. Other names for this herb are Southern Ginseng and Sweet Tea Vine. Sometimes Jiaogulan is mistakenly called Chinese Green Tea. However it is not a tea, it's a herb and contains no caffeine.
Consuming this herb as a tea, leaves a surprising sweetness on the palate.
Advocates for this herb maintain that it can potentially have health benefits such as:
- Helping to restore balance to the immune, nervous and endocrine systems (working as an adaptogen)
- Increasing resistance to environmental, physical and emotional stress (working as an adaptogen)
- Reducing the damage caused by free radicals
- Strengthening the immune system
- Increasing stamina and endurance
- May assist in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure
- May assist heart function, memory, sleep problems, constipation
As with all herbal products, consume in moderation. It is your duty of care to seek professional medical advice before relying only on the benefits of herbs/teas for health purposes.